Temporary Permits

Trip Permit

You must get a Trip Permit for an out-of-state vehicle operated in NYS that qualifies for an IRP registration, but is not apportioned for NYS. A vehicle registered in a jurisdiction that does not participate in the IRP is exempt. A Trip Permit is valid for 72 hours.

Contact the IRB for more information about how to obtain a permit. To apply for a Trip Permit by mail, you must send form IRP-4 (Application for a 72-hour Trip Permit) to the IRB 30 days before the requested validation date. The form is available from the IRB, but not available online. You can also apply for a Trip Permit through a "wire service" (a service that issues permits).

If your vehicle has a NYS IRP registration you must get a Trip Permit to operate the vehicle in another IRP jurisdiction if your IRP registration is not apportioned for that jurisdiction. You must apply to the other jurisdiction for the Trip Permit. See the NYS IRP Manual for a list of jurisdictions (Appendix C - Contact Information) and their Trip Permit information (Appendix A - IRP Trip Permits).

If you operate a vehicle without a Trip Permit when a Trip Permit is required, you can be charged the full registration fee for the vehicle in that jurisdiction.

Hunter's Permit

A Hunter's Permit is issued when the owner-operator of a vehicle with an IRP registration terminates a lease and must surrender the apportioned plates and cab card to the carrier. The Hunter's Permit allows you to operate your vehicle or combination of vehicles in all jurisdictions to find a new job.

A Hunter's Permit is valid to operate a vehicle only at the unladen weight of the vehicle. A Hunter's Permit cannot be transferred. A Hunter's Permit issued in NYS is valid for 30 days, and the fee is $10.00. NYS liability insurance is required to obtain the permit. A Hunter's Permit is valid for the power unit, or a power unit with a trailer that has no load. For more information about how to get a Hunter's Permit in NYS, contact the IRB by phone at (518) 473-5834. Fuel Use Tax Trip Permits

Fuel Use Tax Trip Permits

Instead of obtaining an IFTA license and decals, a carrier may fulfill its fuel use tax obligations by obtaining a trip permit for each jurisdiction traveled. For trips in New York State, you may use the New York State fuel use tax trip permit for any vehicle subject to the fuel use tax. A 72-hour trip permit can be ordered through a service bureau.

New York State charges a fee of $25.00 for a trip permit. The service bureau may charge a fee in addition to the cost of the permit. You may not apply for more than ten trip permits during a single calendar year.


For vehicles that are not registered under IRP or IFTA, additional permits may be necessary before entering another jurisdiction.


Oversize / Overweight Permits

If a vehicle is overdimensional (oversize) or overweight, they must obtain a permit authorizing movement according to vehicle size and weight.


Upcoming Due Dates


IFTA Reporting Online