International Registration Plan (IRP)

IRP, commonly referred to as Apportion, is a reciprocal agreement for registering vehicles that travel in two or more member jurisdictions. Under the Plan, the interstate operator is required to file an application with their base jurisdiction, which issues a base apportioned license plate and cab card. The base plate and cab card are the only identification or credentials required to qualify the carrier to operate interstate or intrastate in IRP member jurisdictions. The cab card will list those jurisdictions in which the operator has qualified and paid registration fees.

The percentage of miles traveled in each jurisdiction is the basis of IRP registration fees. The number of miles traveled in each jurisdiction for which the registrant apportioned determines the total fees due for an apportioned license plate and cab card. In most cases, the declared gross vehicle weight of the truck or combined gross vehicle weight of the power unit and any trailer determines the fees.

“Apportionable Vehicle” means any vehicle (except trailers, recreational vehicles, vehicles displaying restricted plates, city pickup and delivery vehicles, buses used in transportation of chartered parties, and government-owned vehicles) used or intended for use in two or more member jurisdictions that allocate or proportionally register vehicles, and is used for the transportation of persons for hire or designed, used or maintained primarily for the transportation of property and is:

  • A power unit having two axles and a GVW or registered GVW over 26,000 lbs. -or-
  • A power unit having three or more axles, regardless of weight -or-
  • Used in combination, when the weight of such combination is over 26,000 lbs. GVW

How to Apply for an IRP Registration?

A local DMV office cannot process IRP registration transactions. You must apply to the NYS IRB Office in Albany, NY, for an IRP registration. You can mail or walk in applications.

When you mail applications or information to the International Registration Bureau, use the following addresses:

Mailing by United States Postal Service, use this address:
    International Registration Bureau,
    Albany, NY 12220-0850.

Express mail service or other method, use this address:
    International Registration Bureau,
    Room 136, 6 Empire State Plaza
    Albany, NY 12228.

You can also bring applications to the Customer Service Counter in Room 136 on the First Floor in Core 3 of the Swan Street Building of the Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY. The Customer Service Counter is open from 8:00 a.m. to 3:45 p.m., Monday through Friday, except state holidays. Completed applications must be submitted by 3:30 p.m. to be processed the same day.

Note: The Customer Service Counter cannot process a renewal application while you wait. You can leave your application at the counter to be processed.

What You Need to Apply For IRP Registration?

To apply for an IRP Registration, you must provide the following documents, proofs and forms:

Established Place of Business, See IRP-16 – Application Booklet For The International Registration Plan for acceptable proofs for an Established Place of Business.

Proof of Ownership

Read the Proof of Ownership page at the DMV web site to make sure you have acceptable proof of ownership to apply for a NYS title certificate. If the vehicle has a title certificate from another state and the title certificate is held by the lienholder, see the instructions for this condition in the Register an Out of State Vehicle section of the DMV web site.

When owner is different from IRP Registrant, the owner must complete one of the following: "Registration Authorization" section on form IRP-6 (Schedule A & C), or form MV-95 (Registration Authorization), or the "If the Registrant Is Not The Owner" section on the front of form MV-82 (Registration and Title Application)

Proof of NYS Automobile Liability Insurance

Proof of automobile liability insurance is a NYS Insurance ID Card (FS-20, FS-21 or FS-75), or a copy of the NYS Department of Transportation permit, or the Federal Department of Transportation permit (formerly ICC permit).

Proof of Identity

  • Proof of Payment of Federal Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT) Federal law requires proof that the HVUT was paid when you register a vehicle that has a combination or loaded gross vehicle weight of 55,000 pounds or more. Proof of HVUT payment is not required for an original IRP registration application if the vehicle is registered within 60 days of the purchase date shown on the bill of sale. You must send a copy of the bill of sale with your application to receive this exemption.
  • Proof of Payment of NYS Truck Mileage Tax (TMT) To open a new account you must complete the form IRP-6 and form IRP-5 forms.

Fees for IRP Apportioned Registration

The DMV International Registration Bureau (IRB) cannot calculate IRP registration fees until an application is processed. The fees depend on the methods used by each jurisdiction where the vehicle will operate.

IRP Renewals

Approximately 90 days before an IRP registration expires, you will normally receive a NYS IRP Renewal Report by mail. Follow the instructions included in form IRP-34 (IRP Renewal Packet) enclosed with your renewal. You must return the renewal application to the IRB at least 45 days before the expiration date of the current registration. Allow 3 weeks to receive your renewal bill and a list of additional information required.

When you receive your bill, send your payment and any additional required items quickly. The IRB must receive your payment at least 20 days before the expiration date of your current registration to make sure that you receive your renewed documents before the current registration expires.

For complete details about obtaining, renewing or updating your New York IRP see

Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)

On January 1, 2007, the Single State Registration System was repealed and replaced with Unified Carrier Registration (UCR). UCR requires individuals and companies that operate commercial motor vehicles in interstate or international commerce register their business with New York and pay an annual fee based on the size of their fleet. Motor private carriers, freight forwarders, brokers, and leasing companies are also subject to UCR.

Who is Subject to UCR?

All motor carriers (for-hire, private and exempt) – as well as brokers, freight forwarders, and leasing companies operating in interstate or international commerce are subject to the UCR. Entities based in Canada and Mexico that are involved in interstate or international commerce in the United States are also subject to UCR.  


Who is not Subject to UCR?

The following groups are not subject to UCR:

    (1) Entities that receive USDOT numbers under the PRISM program as “registrants” but have no interstate operating authority;

    (2) Except when a state has adopted the UCR Program for intrastate carriers, purely intrastate carriers, that is those that do not handle interstate/international freight or make interstate/international movements;

    (3) Private motor carriers of passengers, meaning those that operate as a private motor carrier engaged in the interstate/international transportation of passengers which is provided in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise and is not available to the public at large.

No UCR Credential is required to be carried in the commercial motor vehicle.

States are implementing more stringent UCR audit procedures that in some states can be in excess of $1000 for your first offense. You are required to maintain three years proof of UCR registration. You are able to register for previous years, so you will want to make sure you are registered.

You can pay online with Visa, Mastercard or eCheck at or mail in the application.

Payments by mail may be made in the form of a company, personal or certified check or money order payable to New York State Department of Transportation. Please write your USDOT# on the front of your check.  


Mail your payment together with your completed UCR application form to:

    NYS Department of Transportation
    Office of Modal Safety and Security,
    50 Wolf Road, POD 53,
    Albany, NY  12232.


Starting your own operations under your own authority?  Find out what is required to start your own business in the trucking industry.  If you operate in more than one jurisdiction, you will need to get your IRP plates and UCR.


Startup Services

Starting your own trucking company requires preparation and planning because the trucking business is one of the most regulated industries in the country.



Upcoming Due Dates


IFTA Reporting Online