Intrastate Authority

For intrastate authority to transport property, except household goods, between all points within the State of New York, you must submit an APPLICATION FOR AUTHORITY TO TRANSPORT PROPERTY EXCEPT HOUSEHOLD GOODS to the NYS Department of Transportation, Office of Modal Safety & Security, 50 Wolf Road, POD 53, Albany, New York 12232, together with a check or money order in the amount of fifty dollars ($50.00), made payable to the "NYS Department of Transportation", to cover the filing fee. The application fee is non-refundable. A $20.00 fee will be charged for all checks returned by the bank.


Once the application is submitted, it is posted in the Department's Weekly Bulletin of Motor Carrier Applications, and held for 30 days to allow protests on safety issues only. The applicant is sent a compliance acknowledgement notice. If there are no valid safety protests and the applicant has completed the necessary compliance, the authority will be issued at the end of the 30-day protest period. The applicant is given 90 days to complete the compliance requirements.

The process normally takes 1-2 months to complete before the Intrastate Authority is active. If you have any questions relating to your application, call 518-457-6503 or go to

Household Goods Carriers

Household Goods Carriers, to obtain intrastate authority for Public Movers and Warehousemen, you must submit the following:
  • Completed Application
  • Fee
  • Tariff
  • Proof Of Liability & Cargo Insurance
  • Workers’ Compensation Insurance & Disability Benefits Insurance
  • Articles of Incorporation or other business formation documents
  • DOT Safety Rating
  • Evidence of 2 or more years experience with NY regulated HHG company
  • Vehicle Identification Receipt for each vehicle
  • Sample Acceptable Moving Documents
  • Financial Statement
Submit all paperwork to :
      NYS Department of Transportation
      Office of Modal Safety & Security
      50 Wolf Road, POD 53.
      Albany, New York 12232.
For more information see:


Interested in obtaining your own operating authority? Interstate commerce is trade, traffic, or transportation involving either the vehicle, its passengers, or cargo crossing a state boundary. Intrastate commerce is trade, traffic, or transportation within a single state


Interstate Authority

Also referred to as an "MC","FF" or "MX" number, depending on the type of authority that is granted. Generally, 'for-hire' carriers engaging in interstate commerce are required to have Interstate Authority Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).


Upcoming Due Dates


IFTA Reporting Online